Castor Oil Packs: Detox and Improve Circulation
Amazing Castor Oil: Ancient Remedy, Modern Healer
(Adapted from treeoflife.nu)
You may be familiar with the use of castor oil for constipation, however, the
healing benefits of castor oil reach into far more categories. Over the centuries, castor oil has received a sterling reputation because of its rapid haling benefits on so many different types of disorders.
For thousands of years, castor oil has been used for just about everything, from relieving menstrual cramps to easing childbirth and clearing warts. Castor oil has been used to assist healing the body from ancient times throughout the world. It was used therapeutically in ancient India, China, Persia, Egypt, Africa, Greece, Rome, the Americas and in 17th century Europe.
It is known to be effective for many diverse types of pain, liver and gallbladder stimulation and cleansing/detox, digestive problems, lacerations, skin disorders such as eczema or psoriasis, menopause symptoms, to boost the immune system, as an emollient and skin softener and to improve the body’s
eliminations, lymphatic circulation and assimilation of nutrients. By using castor oil packs, the flow of lymph is increased throughout the body. This helps to speed the removal of toxins surrounding the cells and to reduce the size of swollen lymph nodes. The end result is a pronounced, systemic improvement in organ function with a general lessening of fatigue and depression. Castor oil is truly one of the earth’s most versatile healing gifts, and so simple to use.
Castor oil appears to work by drawing blood circulation and enhanced biological energy to the area where it is applied, and then drawing lodged toxins out of the body. Practitioners often use castor oil as an important adjunct to a comprehensive treatment plan for an individual. It is important to eradicate the root cause of an illness, not only to clear the symptoms of a disorder.
Castor oil has proven very valuable in helping to detoxify the body at deeper levels, thus eliminating the root causes.
The effectiveness of castor oil may be due in part to its unusual chemical
composition. Castor oil is a triglyceride of fatty acids. Almost 90% of its fatty acid content consists of rinoleic acid. Such a high concentration of this unusual unsaturated fatty acid may be responsible for castor oil’s remarkable healing abilities. Research has shown rinoleic acid to be effective in preventing the growth of numerous species of viruses, bacteria, yeasts and molds. Due to the many beneficial aspects of this fatty acid component, castor oil can be applied topically to treat a wide variety of health complaints.
Beware of the source of castor oil. Unfortunately, much castor oil currently
available is derived from castor oil beans that have been cultivated with
pesticides or poorly grown, thus having few or no healing properties, and which
have been solvent-extracted or deodorized, which damages healing phytonutrients and imparts residual toxic solvent contaminations.
The best castor oil comes from the ancient land of its original discovery and
use: India. The non-hybrid castor beans are still grown by traditional herbal
masters in the dense, central forests of India in fertile, luxurious soil and pure air. The castor oil is cold pressed, without hexane, and is 100% pesticide-free.
The castor oil we use from Premier Research Lab is guaranteed to contain the
full range of highly active, undamaged healing phytonutrients, including
ricinoleic acid, undecylenic acid, and much more.
Castor Oil Pack Instructions
- Select a target area to be treated. To aid the reproductive organs place the pack on the abdomen being sure that the area between the umbilicus and pubic bone is covered.
- Prepare 3 layers of cotton flannel. Fold or cut the cloth into three sheets, creating a pad of adequate size to cover the area to be treated. For example, to use a castor oil pack over the abdominal area, the size of the flannel cloth might be 10”x8” and three sheets thick.
- Cut a plastic sheet. The sheet should be somewhat larger than the flannel cloth. The plastic is used to protect the heating pad from getting oily. Using a plastic garbage bag normally works fairly well, but it is best to avoid using plastic grocery bags, since there are usually printed with ink on one side which can dissolve and spread when exposed to castor oil.
- Saturate the cloth with castor oil. Place the flannel cloth on top of the plastic sheet. Then saturate it with castor oil. The cloth should be wet, but not dripping. The saturated cloth should be then placed directly on the target area with the plastic sheet on top of it. Your plastic sheet should cover the entire exterior of the saturated flannel, since castor oil is likely to stain any fabric it touches.
- Place heating pad over plastic sheet. Set the heating pad on either a low or medium setting, or higher if it is comfortable. The heat will promote absorption, increase circulation, and encourage the body to relax. This is generally left in place for 1⁄2 to one hour, and can be left on for up to 11⁄2 hours. You may place a bath towel over the top of the heating pad to help hold in the heat and an elastic bandage to hold it in place. Caution: Heat should not be used in conditions where it is normally contraindicated, such as appendicitis, diabetic neuropathy or over the abdomen during pregnancy (including after ovulation if you might be pregnant). However, the castor oil pack may be used without heat in these conditions.
- Wash Off Area. After using the castor oil pack, cleanse the skin using a washcloth and organic soap. Washing the area helps clear acidic toxins which have been drawn out of the body during the treatment and helps prevent reabsorbing these toxins.
Castor Oil Pack Without Heat
An alternative method is to apply the castor oil pack without heat, using a towel wrapped around the body, with safety pins to hold it in place. This can be left on for several hours, overnight, or for an entire 24-hour period.
Re-use of the Same Castor Oil Pack. Each cotton flannel pack may be used up
to 10 times if, between usages, it is kept in a plastic container and refrigerated.
With use, the pack gradually absorbs toxins. Therefore, after 10 uses, discard
the pack and make a new one. It is not recommended to try to wash out the
pack for re-use.
Frequency of Castor Oil Packs. In general, the castor oil packs are
recommended 2 times per week, for 1⁄2 to 1 1⁄2 hours per session, for 6 weeks.
Or as needed for PMS or menstrual cramps. At first, it may work better to skip a day between use of each pack, rather than using them on consecutive days.
Cleansing Reactions. The use of castor oil packs should always be gentle,
without side effects. Cleansing reactions, such as a rash, are rare. If they occur, it usually indicates that the body’s ability to eliminate toxins is not sufficient yet. It may be necessary to temporarily decrease the frequency or length of time of using the packs. The most common cleansing reaction is a rash that may occur at the site of the pack. If this occurs, it is typically noticed during the first few applications of the pack.
Castor oil packs are one of those rare remedies that cannot be used too much.
Many people continue to use castor oil packs periodically throughout their lives to help boost the immune system, to keep the lymphatic circulation clear, to assist in proper eliminations, and to always feel their best.
Transform your fertility and sense of well-being
Schedule your first visit to get help today
Austin Birth Awards Best Acupuncture Clinic 2016, 2017, & 2018!
Rated Austin's top fertility acupuncture clinic on Yelp!
Up to half of IVF patients nationally have discovered the benefits of adding acupuncture to their fertility treatments
Take the first step
This month get two treatments for the price of one when you book your initial fertility acupuncture visit with your partner
What we treat
Polycystic ovarian syndrome
Diminished ovarian reserve
Premature ovarian failure
Repeated pregnancy loss and miscarriage recovery
Irregular menstrual cycles
PMS and painful periods
Patients love us!
I was recommended to Sage Acupuncture by my team at Texas Fertility Center... they not only helped increase my fertility, but worked on other related issues like my digestion and anxiety as well as periodic headaches and allergy symptoms. - Meg H.
Sage Acupuncture is simply wonderful! I've been a client for over two years, before, during and after pregnancy. - Shannon H.
These ladies are great-- very knowledgeable, kind and gentle. I started a year ago to help with fertility, my progesterone was extremely low. Within a few months it was within normal range and I was pregnant. I then continued all throughout my pregnancy for maintenance and comfort.
- Stacia D.
Sage provided the ultimate support I needed in my fertility journey. I couldn't have asked for a better team and now my daughter just turned 1! I first came to Sage filled with pessimism, frustration, sadness, anger and ultimately because of their support felt hopeful again, empowered, healthier and happier. Other than the actual baby... working with you ladies was the best part of my fertility journey! - Anne M.